Saturday, October 25, 2014

Continuing The Goal Of Earning My High School Diploma

I am continuing to work toward earning my high school diploma through the Keystone Online School. I am enjoying the program and on my second class, Earth Science, and have an A in the class. Ever since entering middle school I have strived to be a straight A student, and was in NJHS (National Junior Honor Society). Although in elementary school, I wasn't that focused on getting good grades. I have always had this goal of being number one/valedictorian, but when I got sick that goal seemed to be much more difficult to achieve. In 9th grade I was taking all Pre-Ap course at Anderson, with the goal of wanting to earn my IB diploma. Since at that time I didn't have a diagnosis, and my health was nit good and was missing school to so many frequent infections, I wasn't able to do as well as I was intellectually capable of. I had the intellectual capability of being a high achieving student, but my body prevented me from doing that. This was extremely hard for me, and the teachers did not think I was cut out to be in Pre-Ap classes and shouldn't be on track for my IB diploma. I wasn't close to the top 10%, and I remember when I was a sophomore how upset my grandmother was when I switched from Pre-AP geometry to regular geometry, which meant I couldn't earn my IB diploma or certificate. This was extremely hard for me, and I began to doubt my intellectual capability. 
       When I stopped going to school my junior year and switched to the online UT K-16 school,  I was straight A student in the two classes I took, which gave me confidence. Though I got to sick and had to stop that program and was began working toward my GED, but because they weren't able to accommodate me, I searched for an online diploma program and found the Keystone School. They have no age limit and you can take between 1 and 4 courses at a time, and have an entire year to complete the class, from the day you sign up. And everything is online including all tests and finals which is great. And besides the one year time frame you can work on the class at your own pace, and are no set due dates on assignments. I am only able to take one class at a time, and it is great given my situation. I really am enjoying the program, and I feel that the class work is rigorous and is designed to prepare the students for college. As educators, my mom and grandmother are really pleased with the curriculum. 
      I also feel that I am continuing to keep my mind stimulated and am learning new things, which I enjoy. My grandmother loves helping me edit my papers and that is something we enjoy doing together, and my grandfather likes helping me with some of the questions as well. Even though I am only taking one class at a time and going at a pace that I can do, I am pleased with the progress that I an making. I have my eyes on earning my diploma, and having that goal as something to work towards to, keeps me motivated. Despite my continuing challenges I will earn my high school diploma, and do so with extremely high grades. I know that this is something I can and will achieve. 


Joyful Love
         &
Blessings In The Lord
Alexandra K. Acosta

No comments:

Post a Comment