Sunday, March 4, 2012

Infertility and Chemo

Being on chemo has many risks, one of those risks is infertility. different chemo drugs have a different risks of making someone infertile. The particular drug that I am on has a high risk of making me infertile. When I started my treatment I new that their was a chance of infertility but I didn't know how much of one. I recently saw a fertility doctor to see about what I could do to preserve my fertility. Due to the fact that I have already had 6 treatments my ovaries have already taken a hit. A woman of my age usually has between 10 and 20 follicles I only have about 5 or 6. The doctor than developed a protocol where today, I will begin to take hormone injections, as well as the oral medication I started on Friday to stimulate my ovaries so that I can have my eggs retrieved and then frozen. I will need to be on this medication for up to 14 days. There is a chance since my ovaries have taken a hit from the chemo that the stimulation medicine wont work and they cant retrieve any eggs. But we are hoping that is not the case. Please keep us in your prayers, and that I am able to save and preserve my fertility.


Joyful Love
         &
Blessings In The Lord
Alexandra K. Acosta

No comments:

Post a Comment