Sunday, March 18, 2012

Leading A "Normal" Life

For the past couple of weeks I have been working with an OT who comes to my home. He has been teaching me exercises that help to keep me from losing muscle strength, and to slowly help me increase my strength. We also work on things such as ho to conserve energy and to learn how to use adaptive tools to help me live a normal life. One of the things that we were talking about is how my grandfather wants me to live a normal life and be like any other 19 year old. I want that as well but my OT says that my normal will be different then his idea of normal. For people who live with a chronic illness or a disability our version of a normal life is different from that of a person who isn't in that situation. We learn to adapt to the world us, how to cook and make our own food, how to get around buildings so we can work, go to school, or go out, and how to take care of personal hygiene. Sometimes it can be more difficult than it would be for a healthy person, and sometimes we have to use tools or devices just to get through a day. But, just because we do things a little differently doesn't mean we are not leading normal, happy lives. 


Joyful Love
         &
Blessings In The Lord
Alexandra K. Acosta

1 comment:

  1. Hi there Alex. Life is surely throwing you continued curve balls...but some good things too! I am anxious to hear from you but know yuou are in my thoughts. Have you been keeping up with Becky's journal? How about school? Please email me! With thoughts and love, Debbie - your wish granter!

    ReplyDelete