Saturday, September 13, 2014

The Thoughtlessness Towards Those With Disabilities

Being a disabled individual for a few years now, and knowing others who face the same challenges, I have come to experience firsthand people's attitude towards those with disabilities, both positive and negative. I could tell of many stories where people were insensitive toward the disabled, but there are three that I would like to tell about that have happened over the past few months. The first happened about three or four months ago, as my grandmother and I were leaving Hoppdaddys restaurant. I was in my power chair approaching the door to leave. There was a large group of teenage boys with their mothers. As I was heading out all of the boys and one or two of the mothers got out of the way. One of the mother's was just standing there blocking the doorway and chit-chatting with another one. She had seen me, but just kept on talking and standing there. I had nicely said excuse me three or four times and she still did not move, I finally said it a bit louder, and one of the boys nudged her out of the way. She glared at me and as I was rolling out she said how rude I was. My grandmother and I did not say anything, but we both agreed that the young boys were more considerate than the older woman. Obviously moving out of the way so I could get by, was clearly a problem. Of course I thought that what she did was rude, but I kept my composure and did not create a scene. 
      The second incident that occurred happened a little over a month ago as my mom and I were leaving the nail salon. As always, my mom drops and picks me up at the curb so I can be right near the door and get in on my walker. When doing that cars can be stopped behind us but when they see the walker they are ok. As my mom was trying to help load me in the car this car behind us kept honking at us. My mom tried to point out that I was on walker but he still kept honking as he drove by he was throwing his hands up and I couldn't understand what he was saying. As we drove by leaving the parking lot, and he was getting out of the car, my mom rolled down the window and asked what his problem was and couldn't he see I was on the walker. And he said that she was blocking the road and just not making any sense. My mom was like my daughter is disabled and on a walker with her feeding pump but that did not seem to matter to him. As we were driving my mom said, "what nice compassion you have for people with disabilities. We were both appalled at his behavior even after he knew about me being disabled. Even if he hadn't seen me, after finding out he could have apologized, but he chose to continue to be rude. 
      The third incident occurred when my mom and I were meeting two friends of ours at a favorite neighborhood restaurant on Burnet Rd., The Frisco. My family and I have been going there for years and the staff knows and loves on. My friends mom was on crutches, and when we walked in this entire family was sitting on this long bench. Now none of them had a cane or walking aid of any kind, and were not elderly. They saw me and my friend's mom with our walker and crutches and they still chose not to move after seeing us. Since either of us can't stand up very well and need to sit, there insensitivity was clear.
      Having experienced many of these negative attitude and dealings with those who are disabled, I have had to learn to forgive them for their unkindness. It doesn't make me a better person to react angrily to their behavior, because that would make me no better then them. I try to follow my religious beliefs and forgive others, just as the Lord has forgiven me from of all of my sins. Even though I may not feel at that moment that they deserve my forgiveness, neither do I deserve God's. He still has forgiven me, and everyone else of their sins, and so should I and everyone else. I encourage you all to be considerate of those with disabilities. If there are no seats available while waiting, give up yours so that they don't have to, hold the door open for someone on an assistive device. We should all be considerate of those who are dealing with physical challenges, because we never know when we'll be on the other end. 


Joyful Love
         &
Blessings In The Lord
Alexandra K. Acosta

No comments:

Post a Comment