Saturday, February 28, 2015

Finally A Treatment

 I haven't posted in awhile, since things have been a little crazy. Some of it has been a good crazy, because I am finally on a treatment, the first time since October or November. The treatment is called Rituxan. Its an infusion that I receive every week for a month, that is about 4 to 6 hours. The medicine suppresses the B cells, or lymphocytes that are a key component of the immune system that are produced by the bone marrow. The Rituxan will suppress them for 9 to 12 months. The goal is to suppress my immune system so that it will slow down my disease process. It will be up to 6 months before I will notice if the treatment is working. The first infusion went well, except for a minor reaction where my throat started becoming soar and feeling tight. The nurses quickly administered Benadryl and Solumedrol, and the reaction was under control. The nice thing about this treatment is that it does not cause nausea, vomiting, and hair loss like chemotherapy does.
     After not being on any treatment for several months, it is nice that I have finally been started on a treatment. It is still very frustrating because I am still having an increase of symptoms; joint swelling stiffness, heliotrope rash, muscle weakness and fatigue. It is extremely frustrating that I have had one treatment and have not noticed a different. Even though logically I know that I wouldn't, I still wanted to notice a difference. It is really hard that I am having an increase and symptoms and feeling cruddy. I am continuing to work on my Earth Science class, and that is something that has helped me to be able to continue to do something that is intellectually stimulating and to have a routine.
      I still do not have a rheumatologist, so our next step is to appeal to the Children's Hospital to allow me to stay with Dr. C since no other rheumatologist will take me. Not having a rheumatology visit scheduled my whole family feels as though we are in limbo, and as though I am in limbo. I am continuing to pray and trust that God is with me and my family during this difficult time, and He will take care of everything. That helps me to have peace of heart, mind, and soul, and that provides great comfort.
 
 
Joyful Love
         &
Blessings In The Lord
Alexandra K. Acosta

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you've been through one heck of a journey. God gives his toughest battles to the strongest soldiers. Keep fighting the good fight.

    ReplyDelete