Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Halloween

Image result for halloween
Halloween is always a fun time of year, its the time of year that lets you know that fall is here and kicks off the start of the holiday season. Going to parties, wearing fun costumes, trick or treating, and eating candy are all fun parts of the holiday. I have memories of dressing up in princess costumes, and even a go go dancer with my god sisters and going trick or treating, and coming home and eating our candy, and if Halloween fell on a weekend we would sometimes get to have a sleepover. These were definitely fond memories. Having disability or illness like Muscular Dystrophy, that effects your mobility and other aspects of your life can make holidays, such as Halloween a challenge. When I was little, I loved the idea of going trick or treating, dressing up, hanging out with my god sisters, and eating candy but the actual walking when trick or treating was hard for me. By the time I would get to the 6th or 7th house, I would complain my legs hurt and were tired and I wanted to go home. Despite being uncomfortable I focused on the other fun aspects of it. When I lost my ability to swallow, Halloween became harder because I couldn't eat and enjoy the candy that was at the parties, and that we had for the trick or treaters. As my mobility has become more diminished and I have to have help with dressing,  being hooked up the pump and backpack, being in my power chair, and now having my leg braces I felt I couldn't wear and dress up in great costumes. I have learned that just because I can't eat candy, just because I have a feeding pump in a backpack, just because I have leg braces, just because I am in a power chair doesn't mean I can't enjoy the holiday. I can find a way to incorporate my chair into a costume (something I have seen others in chairs do and am planning to do next year), I can wear my fun crazy colored wigs, and glow in the dark necklaces and bracelets. Just because I can't eat, and am in a wheelchair and have mobility issues doesn't mean I can't enjoy this fun night, I just enjoy it a little bit differently. Having a disability or an illness, can make it harder to enjoy holidays such as Halloween, but it doesn't mean they can't be enjoyed, we just enjoy them differently. Having fun and enjoying parties, holidays, and events is what we all want and strive for, especially those of us with physical challenges. In the end we do get to achieve that, even if it is a little bit different. As I reflect on my childhood Halloween experiences I am reminded of one of my favorite verses, Ecclesiastes 3:1 “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:...” and no matter what, your never to old to have fun with Halloween whether your 24 or 104.

No comments:

Post a Comment