Sunday, November 12, 2017

Being Thankful

Image result for ThankfulWhen you have a disorder like MD and you are constantly getting weaker and having more difficulty with just daily tasks and there is nothing you can do about it, you find it difficult at times to be thankful. You think, how can I be thankful that I can't eat, how can I be thankful that I need help dressing and bathing, how can I be thankful that I have respiratory problems, how can I be thankful that I have to use a wheelchair? A lot of people that I come in contact with are surprised to hear me talk about how thankful I am and how blessed I am. They think, how can you be thankful and be blessed when you deal with such challenging circumstances on a daily basis. At first, you can understand why some people think that. The truth is, I have so much more to be thankful for than to not be thankful. I am thankful to have a family that loves and cares for me, and will do anything for me. I am thankful to have a home filled with love and laughter. I am thankful to have friends who see me as a person, not as someone with a disability, and who make me laugh and are always there for me. I am thankful to have a church community that loves me and my family and will help if and when we needed. I am thankful to have group of doctors and nurses who work hard to ensure that have the best quality of life possible. I am thankful and blessed to have health insurance so I can get the medicine and medical equipment that not only keep me alive but allow me to get out of the house and go to church and be with my friends. I am thankful to have my faith in God which helps me to stay mentally and spiritually strong through all thatI have been through. During the November, everyone thinks more about all that they are thankful for since it is the month of Thanksgiving, and you will see what I am thankful for each day on Facebook. While I think that is great, we shouldn't just be thinking about what we are thankful for in November, but all year around. By thinking about what I am thankful for all year around, it helps me to stay grounded in a way because I don't get into the poor me mindset saying there is nothing good in my life. On the rare occasion I find it difficult to be thankful about things I think of 1 Thessalonians 5:18 "...give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for You in Christ Jesus." This verse helps me to remember that no matter what is going on in life, God wants us to be thankful. We can always find something to be thankful for, and its important that we should. By being thankful in every circumstance, we are not only honoring God but we are remembering that even amidst the toughest times in life, there are always blessings and a bright spot that we can be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment