Tuesday, November 8, 2011

ER and Cold

Last Wednesday, I went to the ER because my neck, on the side where the clot is, was very painful and swollen, my arm on that side was also swollen. I was also feeling faint and had a headache, I nearly passed out at the dinner table. Concerned, my mom and grandfather took me to the ER to get the clot checked out. A CT scan of my neck was done, and so was blood work. I was in so much pain, that they had to give me dilloted for the pain. The scan showed that the clot was the same as the previous scan, and the blood work showed that my white count was a bit low because of the chemo. The doctor who examined me knew that I was immunocompramised, and still chose to examine me even though she had a cold. She was coughing, sneezing, and blowing her nose, and she still examined me. Unfortunately because of my weekend immune system, I developed a cold/virus that I caught from the doctor. All weekend I was miserable. I had body aches, congestion, headaches, a soar throat, and a slight cough. Im doing a bit better today. Because of my immune system being low, it takes me longer than a normal person to get better from things, and my symptoms are more severe. Luckily I wasn't running a fever with this virus, so that was a good thing.


My family, as you can imagine, was very upset at the doctor for coming around me when she was sick, it was very unethical. We couldn't say anything to her at the time because we didn't want to upset her, and have that hinder my treatment. My grandfather did send an e-mail to the HR department, and hopefully she will be talked to about the incident. If a physician or anyone who works with patients is ill with something like a cold or any other communicable diseases, they should not be at works, and putting people at risk for becoming ill themselves. Its just good old common sense. 


Joyful Love
         &
Blessings In The Lord
Alexandra K. Acosta

1 comment:

  1. So sorry; just what you need. I mean you work hard - and your family does - to keep everything that could be "germy" away from you - and then this doctor. Bad choice doctor. So it is a new day...how are you now? How are you feeling overall? When is your next treatment? Any fun/diversion going on either with the church, phone calls or the internet? Thinking of you lots, Debbie

    ReplyDelete