Monday, April 16, 2012

The Good And The Bad

Sorry I haven't written in a while, I have just been tired and busy with appointments, treatments, and seeing friends. Anyway, a lot has happened since I last posted, both good and bad. But I'll start with the good. About three Saturday's ago I got to go to my dear friend Caitlyn's Senior Prom with her, and we had a blast. I met Caitlyn a few years ago at y support group for kid's with chronic illnesses, and we immediately hit it off. Not only do we both understand what its like because of our illnesses, but we have a lot in common besides that. She is a year younger than me but we don't care, and because she also is an only child we view each other as pretty much like sisters. Its also nice because our mom's our good friends and they can have someone that understands what its like to take care of a chronically ill child. Lets get back to the prom. So Caitlyn invited me to go with her because since I wasn't able to go my senior prom since I couldn't go to school she thought it would be fun to go with her. We were each others "dates." She goes to a private Christian school and there are only about 14 kids in the senior class so the prom is for all the high school students. All 4 high school grades make up the size of 1 senior class they may even have fewer kids. Before the prom me, Caitlyn, her mom and my mom went out to dinner at an italian restaurant and then headed to the prom at the Marriott in Horseshoe Bay. While we were at the prom our moms went out for a margarita and coffee. The prom was fabulous I knew a few of Caitlyn's friends and I met many more. Everyone was such open arms, they told me that Caitlyn told them all about me and how she admires me, it was so sweet, it just reaffirmed want a true friend Caitlyn is. After the prom we went back to Caitlyn's house watched TV for a bit and then went to sleep. The next morning we went to breakfast and just had girl talk (mom's included). The weekend was a blast and it was such a fun memory, and now I can say I got to go to the prom. 


Now for the bad. The Tuesday after the prom I ended up in the ER. What happened was, I had gotten up to go get my GED workbook, and my foot had fallen asleep from being swollen. I had gotten up to try to walk on it with my walker to wake it up the first step I took, my foot rolled, and I could hear and feel it pop. I screamed from the pain and my grandmother came rushing in. Now I have broken about 7 or 8 bones so I know the difference between a sprain or something fractured/broken. My foot immediately swelled to twice its size and my grandfather came home and took us to the ER. The doctor who first came to see me was just about to leave because his shift ended but he wanted to examine me before he left. He said that because of the way it rolled that it most likely was broken and he had seen the similar cases before. They did an X-ray and a new doctor came in and said it wasn't broken so we were relieved. However a day later it started to bruise and swell more and was getting worse and my home health nurse decided to take a look at it and said I needed to go get it checked by an orthopedist because there probably was a hairline fracture. So on Good Friday I went to see the orthopedist who has treated both my mother and grandfather. He took a look at the X-rays and my foot and thought it was a bad sprain, he then said it could be a hairline fracture and if it is it is so small its hard to see on the X-ray. He ended up putting me in a walking boot cast and said come back in three weeks and they'll do more X-rays. On top of that same week I came down with a bad cold and had to be put on antibiotics but luckily I was well enough to goto church on Easter. Then last Monday I had chemo and have been feeling miserable from it. My oncologist here in Austin is concerned because my muscles and joints are getting worse and she is concerned and almost didn't give me my chemo, she said i didn't look good. I got to San Antonio to meet with Dr. Patel on the 26th to discuss possibly a new treatment plan. They don't know what to do because the chemo has helped the lesions on my SI joints from the AS but it hasn't helped my RA or myositis. I am nervous about what's going to happen, but I know that it is all in God's hands and I need to have faith in him. I'll keep you all posted and try to blog more frequently. 


Joyful Love
         &
Blessings In The Lord
Alexandra K. Acosta

No comments:

Post a Comment