Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Helping Those In Need

I believe in giving back as much as I can, doing volunteer work and helping charities. Due to my current condition I  am not able to be around people a lot so my chances to give back  usually involve making monetary donations, which is still a wonderful thing. There are four organizations which are dear and near to my heart. The Arthritis Foundation, The Spondylitis Association of America, The Myositis Association, and The Make-A-Wish Foundation. I am asking you and your friends to make a donation and perhaps get involve with these organizations. By donating to the Arthritis, Spondylitis, and Myositis associations/foundations, you will help fund research, and possibly cures, as well as improve the lives of those affected by these conditions. Millions of Americans live with the conditions, but most people have never heard of them, yet they can be very devastating. These three organizations are important to me because I live with these conditions everyday, and I can't wait for the day when I and other people can live a pain, limitation free life.

The Make-A-Wish Foundation is a wonderful organization that grants wishes to millions of children, and gives them something to look forward to while dealing with a chronic or life threatening illness. Just before my 18th birthday I was given the opportunity to have a wish granted by the foundation. I had previously wished to meet the people of Fox & Friends morning show in New York, and although they did not no the were lagging with a response, so I decided to change my wish. My new wish is to be able to meet the cast of the hit TV show NCIS and see where they film it in Los Angeles. NCIS has granted wishes before and apparently are great to work with, they said I will find out more about the trip when they begin filming in the fall. Having this wish to look forward to is something that has made my treatments, hospital stays, and the days when I feel miserable and can't go on a bit better. Knowing something that is a once in a lifetime opportunity will probably happen, is a light at the end of a tunnel. Doctors and other healthcare professionals have sad that having wishes granted by the foundation is both emotionally and physically beneficial. It gives the child a reason to hope and gives them something wonderful to look forward to. It also allows parents to see there child happy and having a smile on their face amid a usually dark time. 

I know that due to the economy right now money is tight. But once again I encourage you, your family and friends to make a donations or get involved in these organizations. You could be helping millions of adults and children who could really benefit from what these organizations offer. Even a small donation, or just a little bit of your time can make a big difference. 


Joyful Love
          &
Blessings In The Lord
Alexandra K. Acosta

No comments:

Post a Comment