Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Insurance Insanity

I know that insurance companies are important and necessary in regards to healthcare in our society. Although I am very grateful that I have insurance I am currently very aggravated with them. As you know I am in the process of trying to meet with doctors at Texas Children's Hospital in Houston about the possibility of a Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT). The doctors have agreed that I can go down there for a consultation but we are now waiting to hear from the insurance company. According to the financial counselor at the hospital, the insurance company does not have a problem with me going to meet with the doctors for a consultation, but they are waiting to hear whether or not insurance will pay for the actual transplant. They don't want me coming for a consult unless they know insurance will pay for a transplant. What could be a snag with insurance is that they have to decide whether or not a transplant could be used to treat my diseases, with my particular diagnosis. As you may know my conditions are not really treated with a BMT because the medications they have to treat them are so effective, that transplants are so rare to treat them. According to the insurance company my case is still in review. Its so upsetting that a group of people who have never even met me, are not my physicians, and are just reading a few things about me, are the ones who get to choose whether or not I can receive a transplant. It just makes me so mad that I want to scream. I know life isn't fair but his is just truly unfair. But meanwhile I am sitting hear with immense fatigue, a lot of pain and weakness, and using supplemental oxygen. I am just waiting and waiting, it feels as though nothing is happening, even though it is. In the meantime, I am praying every day that insurance says yes to a BMT, and that I can get an appointment in Houston. My faith in God is the main thing that is keeping me going. Patience is something that I am running low on, but I know that with prayer and a positive attitude I can get through this. 


Joyful Love
         &
Blessings In The Lord
Alexandra K. Acosta

No comments:

Post a Comment