Friday, July 6, 2012

Object Of Attention

Yesterday I went to see my primary care physician Dr. Meyerson, because I have been having some difficulty breathing despite using my inhalers and other medications. The doctor ended up prescribing supplemental oxygen during the day, for when I am walking from like the house to the car or into a restaurant and pretty much when I'm out and about. As you can imagine I wasn't happy and was pretty surprised, although my mom and grandmother were not. This was just another sign of what the disease was doing to my body.  I was/am angry and upset. One of the reasons that I am so upset is because of all the looks that I get when I go out in public. I'm bald, use a walker/wheelchair, and am now on oxygen. I feel as though I have the word sympathy stamped on my forehead. Being a 19 year old female, appearances are everything. I try to ignore it and "get over it", but I just can't. I know that there is nothing I can do about the way people will react, but I can control how I respond. I need to keep my head held I, and know that my illness does not define me. I know that I am strong, and that my faith in God will help me get through this, and make me even stronger. 


Joyful Love
          &
Blessings In The Lord
Alexandra K. Acosta

No comments:

Post a Comment