Thursday, February 6, 2014

Turning 21

Sorry this post is a bit late, but I'm just now getting around to writing it. 

A week ago this past Tuesday was my 21st birthday, which itself is a milestone, but for me each birthday really is a milestone and a gift. My birthday day itself was nice, although it was an ice day and the schools were closed, which really doesn't have an impact on me, but I was able to spend more time with my mom that day since she couldn't go to work which was nice. On my actual birthday I wanted to have a small family dinner at home with my mom and grandparents, and do my "party" over the weekend when everything is more relaxed. My grandmother cooked me my favorite dinner of beef stroganoff, and we had an Italian cream cake for dessert. My grandmother gave me two beautiful new James Avery charms to start a new necklace, and I got some beautiful pink (my favorite color) roses from my mom, and sweet cards from everyone. It was a very nice dinner. Later that evening when my grandmother and I went to our Tuesday night Bible study I was surprised with a little celebration of chocolate cake, sweet cards from everyone, and two small precious trinkets from two of the members. It was such a wonderful surprise, and made me feel so loved and blessed to have that group in my life. 

The weekend was also a continuation of celebrating my birthday. On Friday my mom took me to my favorite Italian restaurant Reales for a mother-daughter dinner, for just the two of us. On Saturday we went to lunch at La Madeleine and then went and got manicures and pedicures together that afternoon. Afterwards we went to the movies and saw Dallas Buyers Club, which wasn't as depressing as I thought it would be. Even though I don't have HIV/AIDS I was able to relate to some of the storyline. Saturday was very busy, and I was exhausted by the time I got home, but it was definitely worth it. Sunday was my "official" birthday celebration. My mom, grandparents, great great aunt, and cousin went to brunch at my favorite restaurant Fonda San Miguel. They have a famous Sunday brunch, and they serve authentic interior Mexican food. All their food is delicious, but my favorite is their corn pudding. My grandmother got the cookbook, so now she can make it at home. Apparently its not that difficult to make. My great great aunt and cousin gave me another beautiful James Avery charm to go on my new necklace, as well as another angel charm, as well as a sweet, heartfelt card. Being 21 I got to legally order an alcoholic beverage, I chose a real Pina Colada, and the waitress carded me. When we were at Reales on Friday, the waitress carded me when I ordered a riesling to go with my dinner. The brunch was fabulous, and we were all stuffed when we left, I was a little bit wonky after the Pina Colada, even though I only had one. I guess its because of all the medicine I'm on. It was so cold on Sunday, that after brunch my mom and I went back to her house, cuddled up and took a nap while watching a Law & Order SVU marathon. That evening I went to the youth group Super Bowl party up at my church, which was fun. My birthday and birthday weekend to celebrate turning 21 were wonderful. I celebrated the way that I wanted to, with the people who I love, and who support and encourage me the most. It was a memorable and fun 21st birthday

Turning 21 is such a milestone for me because the Lord has blessed me with another year. Having a doctor tell me that statistically its amazing that I have lift past five years, makes each year that much more special. 2 Corinthians 9:15 says, "Thanks be unto God for His unspeakable gift." I love this scripture verse because the gifts of life, another year, and family and friends are truly unspeakable, and gifts that I cannot thank God enough for. Although my life right now at 21 is very different then what I thought it would be, it is still a gift and a blessing. I know that this year will be filled with even more of God's gifts and blessings for which I need to remember to be thankful, and thank Him for. 


Joyful Love
         &
Blessings In The Lord
Alexandra K. Acosta

No comments:

Post a Comment