Sunday, November 4, 2012

Still Waiting

Well we are still waiting to hear from the BMT unit in Houston. My grandfather thinks that if it was a no go we would have heard something by now. We have many theories about why its taking so long. Financing, space availability, when they can start things, waiting to discuss with the rest of the team members, maybe waiting for a full report from rheumatology and other test results? The list can go on. In the mean time I continue to go for my weekly methotrexate infusions (or as I like to call it "lemonade" because its yellow) at Texas Oncology Seton-Williamson. Dr. CB (Cline-Burkhardt) and her staff are fabulous, I'm very lucky to have all of them. Each week the chemo is more difficult, but I know it will be much worse when I have the transplant. I have been trying to study for my GED a little bit each day, and keep my mind as occupied as possible. But its hard not to think about it. The chemo has caused my taste buds to change. I have been wanting breakfast foods like french toast and pancakes, and things with cinnamon, like cinnamon rolls, and apples and apple sauce with cinnamon. I also can't eat as much as I used to (which is not necessarily a bad thing), and I can't eat certain foods anymore. I get full so much more easily, and its definitely a learning process. Something that would be a normal size meal makes me feel like I ate 3x as much. On a different note, we have had some terrific news recently. Last Monday the 29th, my mother defended her dissertation for her PhD and is now officially Dr. Katherine Fugate. The fact that she has been able to accomplish this, having a sick child and a full time job is wonderful. I am so proud to call her my mom. Everyone else is doing well, and were just trying to to take each day one at a time and to "let go let God." In the meantime we will continue to live our lives, pray for some good news, and rely on each other and God for support. 


Joyful Love
          &
Blessings In The Lord
Alexandra K. Acosta

No comments:

Post a Comment