Monday, January 7, 2013

Strength

I have been having issues in which my right knee has been popping in and out of place (I've actually fallen because of this), and causing me a great deal of discomfort. I had this same problem on my left knee a few years ago and had an arthroscopic surgery where they realigned my knee. My oncologist Dr. CB was concerned about the knee causing me to fall at times, and thought since I am scheduled to have my hysterectomy next Thursday, why not have my knee realigned at the same time. The orthopedist doesn't want to do surgery right now because my thigh muscles are so week from the myositis that even if he goes in and fix the knee, it will still have problems because the muscles are not strong enough to support it. Plus with my immune system being so compromised from the chemotherapy, surgery on a joint is not recommended. So, an order for physical therapy was written to help strengthen the knee and the muscles around it. Once I am off chemo (which would mean after the BMT), and the muscles are stronger, if the knee is still bothering me, then he would go and fix it. Because my immune system is compromised I can't go to a physical therapy gym or pool, so I have to get a home health physical therapist to come and work with me. Now I am an expert on PT, I have had it on pretty much every joint and muscle you can think of. Its not the most pleasant thing to do, but its the only form of exercise I get, and I know it will help me to gain strength. 

Strength (both physical and emotional) is a wonderful quality to have. I pray all the time that got would give me the necessary strength to accomplish my goals and to get better. God is truly where I get my strength from, because he has the most strength of any being on earth (both physical and mental). I love what Philippians 4:13 says, "I can do all this through him who gives me strength." When I read that verse I know that all my strength really does come from God. I would never be able to deal with what I have to go through if I didn't have strength. My physical strength might be weak, but I am strong spiritually and mentally. 

I was thinking about how in order for us to increase are physical strength, we have to exercise. The same is true for our spiritual strength. In order for us to do that, we have to work harder on our relationship with God, and turn to scripture. Psalm 105:4 says, "Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always." That verse is very true. The Lord is the only place where we can truly find strength. I hope you can find whatever strength that you need, and know that with God you will be stronger than you could have ever imagined. 


Joyful Love
          &
Blessings In The Lord
Alexandra K. Acosta

No comments:

Post a Comment