Saturday, February 2, 2013

The Immortal Life Of Henrietta Lacks

My grandmother's monthly book club read the book The Immortal Life Of Henrietta Lacks for last months book. The book is about a woman named Henrietta Lacks who was an African-Amercian woman, who in the 1950's was treated at John's Hopkins in Baltimore for an aggressive form of cervical cancer. Without her or her family's knowledge, the doctor took a sample of her tumor and gave it to a researcher who was able to grow the immortal HeLa cell line. HeLa cells have changed medical science. They have been used to create numerous medications, and chemotherapy drugs, as well as in helping doctors learn more about bone marrow and organ transplant. The book was not only interesting to learn more about science and medicine, but also to learn more about the woman behind it and her family. Many doctors have made lots of money off of her cells, but her family had no health insurance, and couldn't afford to go to the doctor, they received no compensation for her cells. They did not even learn until the 70's (twenty years after Henrietta had died), that the doctors took her cells. The book was a wonderful read and I would definitely recommend it. It was amazing to think that this women's cells were used to create the life saving treatments that I have been taking. I feel so horrible for the difficulties that her family had to endure, but I am thankful for the contribution she made to medical science. Her family said in the book that Henrietta would have been happy to know that her cells have been used to help so many people. 

I am so thankful for all the doctors and medicines that have helped me with my illness. I also am thankful for those who donate their blood, and bone marrow/stem cells. I believe that God gave scientists, doctors, and researchers the ability and knowledge to help human kind, and that is a wonderful thing. I think medicines are just one way God can heal us from disease. Luke 6:19 says, "...and the people all tried to touch him, because power was coming from him and healing them all." I think this verse can have multiple interpretations. I believe God can miraculously heal people on his own without medications. But I also believe that doctors and medicines can be another form of power coming from Him and healing people. God is our creator and our healer, and he can do miraculous things. I believe that God will heal me, and all of those who are ill. How he does it, only He can decide. 


Joyful Love
          &
Blessings In The Lord
Alexandra K. Acosta

No comments:

Post a Comment